Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Review: X-Files Season 1


As a long time horror/supernatural fan, I had always wanted to watch this show, but since it started in 1993, when I was 5 or 6 {depending on the time of year}, I wouldn't have been able to watch it anyway. I finally borrowed my friend's copy and after three weeks, finally got around to watching it with my mother. We managed to burn through it in about a week and a half.

What is amazing about this show is that they managed to combine both a cop/government drama into a supernatural theme, and do it well. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have brilliant chemistry, and by the second or third episode, I was already rooting for them to get together. The sexual tension is just...oh man. It's a huge force in this show, larger than in almost any other show I can think of.

The only things I can think of that were bad are as follows:
-Scully is the skeptic of the team, and that's good, because Mulder needs to be grounded sometimes, or else he would just be off hunting aliens on a whim. The problem with this is that throughout the series, she sees constant evidence of aliens, and even deals with a psychic who knows a nickname of hers that only someone in her immediate family would know {this is after her father died, and he called her 'Starbuck'}. And even after this, and many other instances, she still remains highly skeptical.
-The theme of 'revenge from beyond the grave' is used way too much, about four times in the entire season, and they're all placed pretty close together.

As a whole, though, the season was well done and immediately pulled me in, so that I know I'm going to want to see more of the seasons, and be rooting the entire time for Scully and Mulder to get together.

Grade: A

No comments: