Tuesday, September 14, 2010

And we're back...but for how long?

General Blogging
Well, things have changed quite a lot since my last post. When was that? May? June? In a nutshell, I had 3 jobs and an insane amount of stress. My friend moved in, which didn't really go according to plan/how we hoped it would go. I'm moving to New Hampshire on the 25th of September {12 days!} and have been under an AMAZINGLY huge amount of stress because of all of this. Did I mention that? I think I did.

Thankfully, though, I don't work anywhere again until sometime after I get to New Hampshire, thereby allowing me to wrap up things in Maryland, continue packing, pay bills and change my address for everything pertinent in my life.

In Other News:

News/Stuff About Celebrities and Movies/Music/TV Shows/etc.
Movie News:
-Stephen King's The Dark Tower series is going to be getting both a movie and a TV treatment. Words can't express how happy I am...or was until I realized that Ron Howard has directed both 'Angels and Demons' and 'The DaVinci Code'. Eeee.

I can't think of a better way to present the material, though, so I'm happy with this outcome. Now I just need to see if the casting will cause me to rage or not.

Actor News:
-There was a possibility that Martin Freeman would be playing Bilbo Baggins in the 'Hobbit' films. Apparently, this was a rumor, and it's not going to happen. While I like him as an actor, I cannot see him as Bilbo. My top two choices for Bilbo are either Simon Pegg or Michael Sheen. Considering how well the Lord of the Rings films were cast, I know I probably won't have anything to worry about.

Most Recent Movie(s) I've Seen in Theatres:
'Going the Distance'


Directed by Nanette Burstein, and starring Drew Barrymore, Justin Long, Charlie Day, Jason Sudeikis and Christina Applegate, the film is about a couple, Garrett {Justin Long} and Erin {Drew Barrymore} whose one-night stand turns into a long term relationship, and eventually a long-distance one when she has to move from New York back to San Francisco to finish her last year of grad school. Unlike most chick flicks, guys could like this and probably would. It's a little cruder than I was expecting, but that was refreshing. Justin Long and Drew Barrymore were a cute couple {especially since they did/are dating/I don't even know in real life} and most of all believable.

The supporting cast of Jason Sudeikis, Charlie Day and Christina Applegate were amazing, as well, which was a nice change, especially since most supporting actors in a romantic comedy can fade into the background.

Overall, I give it an A-. It felt a bit long in some parts, but at just under 2 hours, it's almost a new phenomenon in movies today.

Grade: A-

Most Recent Book(s) I've Finished:
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

After watching 'Capote' for the third or fourth time, I figured it was time to read the book. I'd never read anything of Capote's before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. He was an amazingly talented writer, and I fully intend on getting more of his books. The book was one of the first true crime novels ever written, about the deaths of the Clutter family in 1959 in Kansas and the subsequent tracking, capture and execution of their killers; Perry Smith and Richard "Dick" Hickock.

The book, while not a quick read, moves along very steadily, and never once did I lose interest in the story or what was going on. One thing that struck me was that the more I read about the killers, I felt a mixture of disgust, horror and sympathy. In 'Capote', Truman says to Perry that he doesn't want the world to see him "as a monster". And it's no small feat that Capote has managed to humanize the killers,and Perry especially, since he was the one who killed the entire family. And even after reading, and realizing that Perry was a sociopath, I still manage to feel sympathy for him because of the atrocious upbringing he had. It's no excuse for what he did, but in a way...I guess I can understand it more. He said to Truman, "They [The Clutters] never hurt me. Like other people. Like people have all my life. Maybe it's just that the Clutters were the ones who had to pay for it."

I feel it's a book everyone should read.

Grade: A+

Miscellany
Funny Picture(s) I've Found:


The Song Currently Stuck In My Head:
'I Don't Wanna Dance' by Hey Monday



Hot Guy Of the Day
Clifton Collins Jr.



Quote of the Day
Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is the only thing a woman has to hold on to.” - Vera Donovan, 'Dolores Claiborne'

Anything Else I Can Think Of
Band You Should Be Listening To:
Metric


While not a new band, Metric have become one of my new favorites. I fully recommend buying their album 'Fantasies', released last year, or even just listening to the song they contributed for the 'Scott Pilgrim' soundtrack. Emily Haines' voice is a thing of beauty, and I look forward to seeing her and the band perform in October as Muse's opening band.

No comments: