Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"Touch each other in a celebratory way."

I haven't touched someone in a celebratory way in a long time. Title is from 'The IT Crowd'.

The Day So Far
Finally dragged myself out of bed after being up for a long time thinking about stuff, around noon. I'm now watching 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead' for the first time, and I am immensely enjoying Tim Roth in his Guildenstern costume.

*Coughs* Uhm. Yes.

I know I haven't updated this since October 2nd. Sorry. Life gets in the way sometimes, you know? Quick rundown: I met Billy Boyd and his band, got rid of a cold in 3 days, watched a ton of movies, got into two other TV shows {'30 Rock' and 'Fringe'} and am anxiously anticipating my vacation in December.

News/Stuff About Celebrities and Movies/Music/TV Shows/etc.
Most Recent Movie(s) I've Seen in Theatres:

'Zombieland'
Directed by Ruben Fleischer, starring Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin. Normally, I'm not a fan of zombie movies. Sure, I liked the remake of 'Dawn of the Dead', but I don't actively seek them out. And no, the '28 Days/Weeks Later' movies are NOT zombie films. I'm sorry, but they aren't. Zombies are reanimated corpses, and the people in those movies are just infected with a virus that makes them not want to do anything but attack and bite other people. They then ignore all of their base body instincts, eating in particular, and then die after about three weeks {if they're not killed} of starvation or dehydration.

Anyway...'Zombieland' was amazing. Really funny, and probably one of the best zombie movies I've ever seen. The cast had great chemistry, and Woody Harrelson was great as Tallahassee. Jesse Eisenberg has now become one of my favourite actors, not the least because he is a less annoying, WAY more tolerable version of Michael Cera, who I cannot stand and want to beat his skull in.

Go see the movie if you haven't already. It's good for both gorehounds, zombie lovers, and those who just like a good comedy.

Grade: A

'Law Abiding Citizen'
Directed by F. Gary Gray, starring Gerard Butler and Jaime Foxx. It was good, but I feel it could have been better. Gerard Butler was great as the villain. Though I think anti-villain/hero would be more appropriate. Yes, he's killing people, but it didn't bother me for some reason. It was nice to see him in a heavier role than just as the romantic interest in a rom-com or as a generic action guy. There were a few too many plot holes, as well. Normally, I'm willing to overlook them, but since they were so important, I don't understand how they could be ignored.

Grade: C

'Where the Wild Things Are'
Directed by Spike Jonze, starring Max Records, Catherine Keener, and the voice talents of Forest Whitaker, Lauren Ambrose, Paul Dano, Catherine O'Hara and Chris Cooper. The movie was very beautiful; the monsters looked just like I remembered them, but as a whole, I didn't like the movie that much and still don't understand the massive amount of hype surrounding this book/movie. Yes, I liked it when I was a kid, like I said before, but I was never crazy over it. I've been told by Ben Moy that I don't have a soul because I don't like Wallace and Gromitt {Yes. I know. Get over it.}, so I'm just wondering what people will say about me for not liking 'Where the Wild Things Are'. Probably something like, "You're the Devil."

Grade: C-

Most Recent Movie(s)/TV Show(s) I've Seen At Home:

'Dollhouse'
As a fan of Joss Whedon, I'd been looking forward to watching this show, despite the negative reviews I'd heard for it. I thought, "How bad could it be? Whedon shows and projects are funny and have good plots and snappy writing." I just barely got through the first episode, and the rest of the series, with the exception of episodes 11 and 12, kept me just this side of interested. I think part of the problem lay in the casting of Eliza Dushku as the main character. I don't really like her as an actress and she did not evoke any sympathy from me for her character, which she should have done. Everyone else in the show was a joy to watch, except her. The plot wasn't really that good, honestly, though the premise held incredible potential.

Grade: D

'30 Rock' season 1
One of the funniest TV shows I've seen in a long time, after 'The IT Crowd'. It's got the absurdity of 'Arrested Development', but upped by about 300. Tracey Morgan is insane, and Alec Baldwin has surprisingly wonderful comedic timing. Tina Fey is awkward and crazy, but she's great on this, too. I look forward to knowing what season 2 has in store for me.

Also, this show has a weird way of making a lot of people really attractive. Jason Sudeikis is quickly becoming a new crush of mine, and I didn't even realise I found him even remotely attractive. Will Arnett, too. Goddamn.

Grade: A

Miscellany
Funny Picture(s) I've Found:

The Song Currently Stuck In My Head:
'All is Love' by Karen O and the Kids from the 'Where the Wild Things Are' OST. I didn't like the movie, but I did enjoy the soundtrack a lot.

Jackie Earle Haley:

Look at that shirt! It's crazy!

Hot Guy Of the Day
Joshua Jackson


Quote of the Day
-Dr. Spaceman: "Boy, it's crazy to think we used to settle questions of paternity by dunking a woman in water until she admitted she made it all up. Hmm, different time in the '60s."

Anything Else I Can Think Of
A Video You Need to See:
Done by the same people who brought you Charlie the Unicorn


No comments: