Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"That's all I need innit? A Scotch ghost with a comedy ringtone."

If a ghost showed up looking like David Tennant in my room, I would come twice and die. Title is from the video at the very bottom of this post.

UNF.

The Day So Far Life Update
It has been almost forever and a day since I've updated this thing, and to my loyal followers, I apologize. Life's been getting in the way, but more honestly? I've been very forgetful about it and a lot of the time couldn't be arsed to do it. So, I will give you a quick run-down of what's been going on since October {when I last updated}:

-Saw in theatres: 'Boondock Saints II: All Saint's Day' {3/5}, 'The Road' {4/5}, 'Avatar' in IMAX 3D {3 1/2/5} and 'Sherlock Holmes' {4/5}
-Saw at home: 'Lady in White' {2/5}, 'Dolores Claiborne' {4/5} and 'Misery' {5/5}
-Read: The Gunslinger by Stephen King, We Have Always Lived in The Castle by Shirley Jackson, Drawing of the Three by Stephen King and Carrie by Stephen King. Basically, I've been on the biggest Stephen King kick in my entire life. Thank you, Justin!
-Heard: 'Black Gives Way to Blue', Alice in Chains' newest album in 14 years. While no one can replace Layne Staley, William DuVall is a fitting replacement, and at times, if you're not paying attention, you might just think you're hearing Layne. The album is a little bit more bluesy than their previous efforts, but that is totally fine, since there's still enough sludge and dread apparent to satisfy hardcore Alice in Chains fans.
-I visited my father in New Hampshire from December 16th to the 26th. I got to hang out with Justin, his sister and his friend Amy, who is also one of my friends, as well, and that was pretty awesome.
-I've been thinking more and more about moving to New Hampshire. I'm about 45% sure I want to do it, and I will be able to decide more readily by probably May {once I get my Associate's Degree, and have more money than I do now}.
-I dropped my Math class, and still got an 'F' since I didn't do it in time :/

News/Stuff About Celebrities and Movies/Music/TV Shows/etc.
Movie You Should Be Excited About:
'Iron Man 2'

"You can bleep me!" XD

Most Marvel movies are and look like shit. Don't believe me? Name 2 good Marvel movies in the last 3 years. This, as with the last 'Iron Man', looks very good, and for several reasons;

1} Good casting. RDJ was made to play Tony Stark, and he does the same thing Chris Pine did for the revamp of 'Star Trek'; he brings the right amount of assiness and arrogance to the character so that it's not overpowering and you still manage to feel for the guy.
2} A good director. I've only seen one of Jon Favreau's films {'Iron Man'}, but unlike a lot of comic book movies/action movies in general, he didn't let the special effects bog down the story, and he didn't rely totally on them to make the movie "good".
3} A good script. Witty, funny, good character development...what more can you ask for? In any movie, really.

Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Mickey Rourke, Scarlett Johansson, Sam Rockwell, Paul Bettany and Samuel L. Jackson.
Release Date: May 2010 {I might actually see this at midnight}

Most Recent Movie(s) I've Seen in Theatres:
'Sherlock Holmes'
Directed by Guy Ritchie, starring Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law and Rachel McAdams. I kept going back and forth in wanting to see this movie; from being super excited to thinking it was going to be just a dumb action movie. I should've listened to my first instincts, as they usually are right. While I would not have picked RDJ as Holmes {I grew up watching the Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes movies, and so always saw Holmes as someone slim, trim, tall and very austere}, and aside from my personal dislike for him, would probably have picked Jude Law to play Holmes and someone else to play Watson.

Both of them embodied the characters very well, with a few additions; Holmes is more witty and with less social graces, and Watson is more street-smart {and nearly at Holmes' level of deductive intelligence} and a bit more of a brawler than what I've grown accustomed to. I initially wasn't sure what to make of the large part of Irene Adler added to the movie since, from the few stories I've read, she pops up only one time, but manages to get sufficiently under Holmes' skin as the only woman, and one of the only people, to ever outsmart him.

Action-wise, the movie was fantastic, and the plot was pretty decent, too. I'm looking forward to more Holmes movies {and I have no doubt there will be a lot more}.

One final note; a lot of people have already been shipping Holmes with Watson {something that's been going on since the stories came out, apparently, which I never got reading the books or watching the Rathbone/Bruce movies}, and I was wondering where it was coming from. Someone said it was hinted at in the books that they were gay, which....okay...if you really want to read into it. Watching the movie last night, I could see, especially in one scene, where people were coming from. People are calling Sherlock "ambiguously gay", which I didn't see at all. He seems to be more in love with Irene and just sad, which is twisted as jealousy, that Watson is leaving the house they've shared to be with his wife. And this is coming from a person who thinks that Nite Owl and Rorschach are gay for each other, so, I know of what I speak.

Grade: B+

Most Recent Movie(s)/TV Show(s) I've Seen At Home:
'Misery'


Directed by Rob Reiner, starring James Caan and Kathy Bates. Since I'm on a big Stephen King kick recently, thanks to getting into the Dark Tower books, I figured I should watch this {also since I'd heard for years how good it was}. Right from the beginning, you get a sense of dread, something that only grows stronger as the movie goes on. James Caan plays writer Paul Sheldon who gets into a car accident during a blizzard; breaking both of his legs and severely dislocating his shoulder. He's lucky, though, in that he happens to get rescued by his biggest fan, who is also a nurse, Annie Wilkes, played to perfection by Kathy Bates. At first, she just seems like a goofy woman who is a little too into the books he's written about a woman named Misery. We get a few hints of the horror that is to come, but it's not until Annie reads Paul's most recent Misery book, which kills off Annie's favourite character that was see the true horror of his circumstances. She holds him hostage, and forces him to bring the character back to life, and is willing to do anything to make sure he does this.

I won't give anything away for the sake of the movie {and the less you know, the better}, but even knowing as much as I did about the movie did nothing to lessen the horror {word of the day?} I felt watching this movie. It's very tense from the moment we see the first change in Annie {who is about 20 bricks shy of a load}, and the tension builds and builds until the final explosive confrontation. Even if you're not a Stephen King fan, make sure you see this movie.

Grade: A


Miscellany
Funny Picture(s) I've Found:

Even Alan Tudyk thinks so! What more proof do you need?

The Song Currently Stuck In My Head:
'For Your Entertainment' by Adam Lambert. One of the catchiest pop songs I've heard in recent years. Think Michael Jackson meets Britney Spears, but with actual singing talent. I bought the whole album, and will tell you now, there's only about 5 songs that are really good; 'For Your Entertainment', 'Strut', 'Fever' {written by Lady Gaga}, 'If I Had You' and 'Sure Fire Winners'. There's a song on the album called 'Soaked' which was written by Matt Bellamy of Muse, and....well....you can really tell. It's much better when Muse does it, but there's a reason it was an unreleased single.

Jackie Earle Haley:

I love getting new photos from 'Human Target'. :)

Hot Guy Of the Day
Robert Downey Jr.


Quote of the Day
-Watson: "You do know what you're drinking is meant for eye surgery?"

Anything Else I Can Think Of
A Video You Need to See:
It's not Christmas anymore, but this deserves to be seen by everyone:


David Tennant is so fucking hot in this video, I almost can't take it.

No comments: