Friday, January 1, 2010

"People ask me what it's like to be inside my head. Inside there, it's always casual Friday."

I would love to be there. Title is from Spencer Humm, one of Maryland's best comedians, and one half of the amazing Renaissance festival fighting comedy duo; Hack and Slash.

Spencer is the one with his mouth open. I have met both of these guys and they are so nice. I've seen their show about 5 times and it has been hysterical each and every time.

General Blogging
I feel this needed to be changed forever ago, and this is much better than 'The Day So Far' {which didn't really encompass what I wanted to convey. I don't even know what I'm saying, but you're reading this, so I must make some amount of sense}.

-Rang in the New Year at my friend Bekah's house, with her boyfriend and our friend Liz. We watched 'Romeo + Juliet', part of 'The Fugitive' before that and played the Storytelling Game. Liz and I shared a pizza, and all of us had way too much chocolate.

-It should be noted that my New Year's Resolutions {all in caps, so you know they're important} are in many ways the same as about half the populations of the world, with a few other things thrown in:
1} Lose weight
2} Be more thrifty with money
3} Try and be more patient
4} Start cooking more
5} Check out 1 book you've never read before at the library each time you go

I might come up with more as the day goes on, but right now, that's what I've got.

-I actually put number 3 into practise for the last hour or so when my internet was not connecting at all. I got a little frustrated, but there were no tears or screaming and cursing. And for that, I am very proud of myself.

News/Stuff About Celebrities and Movies/Music/TV Shows/etc.
Movie You Should Be Excited About:
'Clash of the Titans'.


Honestly? This movie looks terrible. BUT! I will be one of the first in line to see it. At the very least, we will get a pretty decent action movie. And Sam Worthington is very nice to look at.

*Cough* So, uh. I'll just leave this picture here...

Movie News:
-According to this article, James Cameron's 'Avatar' has earned over $800 million worldwide. $800 million. Even though I thought the movie was over-hyped and the plot was something we've seen repeatedly, you have to give it to Cameron; he seems to just rake in the dough.
-Filmmaker Magazine has listed their picks for top 25 Best Independent Films of the Decade. They are:
1. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)
2. There Will be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2008)
3. No Country for Old Men (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2008)
4. George Washington (David Gordon Green, 2000)
5. Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee, 2005)
6. Lost in Translation (Sofia Coppola, 2003)
7. Tarnation (Jonathan Caouette, 2003)
8. The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara (Errol Morris, 2003)
9. The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow, 2008)
10. Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky, 2000)
11. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
12. Grizzly Man (Werner Herzog, 2005)
13. Punch Drunk Love (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002)
14. Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2000)
15. Before Sunset (Rick Linklater, 2004)
16. Elephant (Gus Van Sant, 2003)
17. Iraq in Fragments (James Longley, 2006)
18. Funny Ha Ha (Andrew Bujalski, 2002)
19. No End in Sight (Charles Ferguson, 2007)
20. Synechdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman, 2008)
21. About Schmidt (Alexander Payne, 2002)
22. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Julian Schnabel, 2007)
23. Junebug (Phil Morrison, 2005)
24. Zoo (Robinson Devor, 2007)
25. Man Push Cart (Ramin Bahrani, 2005)

I have only seen 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, but I agree pretty much. Except for 5 and 6, which I disliked a lot.


Most Recent Movie(s)/TV Show(s) I've Seen At Home:
'The Elephant Man'


Directed by David Lynch, starring Anthony Hopkins, John Hurt, Anne Bancroft and John Gielgud. This tells the story of Joseph Merrick {erroneously referred to as John Merrick since the 1800's}, the "Elephant Man", played by John Hurt, who, because of a congential disorder {to this day, they don't know conclusively what he had} has been disfigured since the age of 3, and has been an attraction in a sideshow. Dr. Frederick Treves, played by Anthony Hopkins, finds Joseph and takes pity on him, bringing him to live at the London Hospital so he and the rest of the staff can care for him and study him.

Not being a David Lynch fan, nor having seen any of his movies {aside from part of 'Eraserhead', which...whoa}, I wasn't sure what to expect. I thought it would be a little weird, but ultimately a good movie. What I got was an emotional ride that I will never forget. The story of Mr. Merrick is handled very well, and literally tugs on your heartstrings. I have not cried so much and so hard at one movie in a very long time. And it started about halfway through. You feel an amazing amount of sympathy for this man, who, despite his disfigurement, was a very caring, smart person. Everyone should see this film, David Lynch fan or no.

Grade: A

'The Fugitive'


Directed by Andrew Davis, starring Harrison Ford {in his middle aged sexy glory...what?}, Tommy Lee Jones, Jeroen Krabbé and Julianne Moore. Harrison Ford plays Richard Kimble, falsely convicted of murdering his wife. On his way to prison, two of the convicts on the bus cause a fracas which ultimately ends up with the bus crashing and in the way of an oncoming train. Richard escapes, and is chased by US Marshals, a particularly tenacious one played by Tommy Lee Jones, all the while trying to find the man who murdered his wife. This is one of my favourite movies, and I like it more each time I watch it. High on action and suspense, it's great for many rewatches. Keep an eye out for the Janitor from 'Scrubs'.

Grade: A

'Romeo + Juliet'


Directed by Baz Luhrmann, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Claire Danes, John Leguizamo, Harold Perrineau, Paul Sorvino and Brian Dennehy. It's the tale of Shakespeare's most famous star-crossed lovers, transplanted to the modern day, but still with Shakespearean words. I initially didn't care for this film, mainly because I kept hearing about it, and we had spent so much time reading Romeo and Juliet in school that I just didn't care anymore {still one of my least favourite of Shakespeare's plays}. Having watched it now, I do like it a lot, and kind of want to own it, if only to see the rest of the cast {minus the two angsty leads} do their stuff.

Grade: B

Most Recent Book(s) I've Finished:

Carrie by Stephen King. This was his first book, and I have to say, we owe a great deal of thanks to his wife for rescuing this from the trash can. I'd only seen the movie before, and when I was in New Hampshire, since I'm on a big Stephen King kick, I picked this up, and before I knew it, I was 67 pages in. It's a quick read, but a very engrossing one nonetheless. King perfectly captures just how horrible girls, and especially teenaged girls, can be to one another and to those they consider different, which is amazing, considering he is not a girl. The book I found to be a lot better than the movie, and I highly recommend this book to everyone.

Grade: A

Miscellany
Funny Picture(s) I've Found:


The Song Currently Stuck In My Head:
'Starstruck' by Lady Gaga. Ahh, what better way to ring in the New Year than by having loud pop music in your head?


Jackie Earle Haley:
Hot Guy Of the Day
Bill Hader.



Quote of the Day
-Joey: "You're either a zombie or a vampire."
-Bart: "Good. Zombie or vampire. I knew there had to be a scientific explanation for this."
from 'The Revenant'

Anything Else I Can Think Of
A Video You Need to See:
Anything making fun of 'Jersey Shore' is alright in my book. I've never seen the show, but I'm pretty sure this is right on:



No comments: