Sunday, January 3, 2010

"Your hatred's like good medicine! Good medicine is not what I need!"

I will take good medicine any day. Title is from one of SNL's hilarious opposite band Jon Bovi sketches.


Will Forte and Jason Sudeikis need to do this sketch all the time.

General Blogging
Like any Sunday, I worked 2-6. Since the start of 2010 {hey, it just became the new decade on Friday}, I haven't done much. The most exciting thing that's happened so far is getting my health insurance card. I am covered until 2013, I believe, on the plan I'm on now.

News/Stuff About Celebrities and Movies/Music/TV Shows/etc.
Movie News:
-According to wenn.org {I can't find the article or I would link it here}, the following is happening;
The executors of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's literary estate have threatened to withdraw Guy Ritchie's rights to the Sherlock Holmes story if the director hints at a homosexual relationship between the lead characters in his sequel.

Robert Downey, Jr., who plays the supersleuth in Ritchie's new movie adaption, recently appeared on David Letterman's U.S. talk show and hinted at a homoerotic subtext in the relationship between his character and Jude Law's Dr. Watson.

During the interview the actor also asked the audience to decide whether Holmes is "a very butch homosexual."

But Downey, Jr.'s comments have infuriated Andrea Plunket, who controls the remaining U.S. copyrights to the Holmes story, and she's threatened to withdraw permission for a follow-up if Ritchie suggests the detective is more than just friends with his sidekick.

She says, "I hope this is just an example of Mr Downey's black sense of humour. It would be drastic, but I would withdraw permission for more films to be made if they feel that is a theme they wish to bring out in the future. I am not hostile to homosexuals, but I am to anyone who is not true to the spirit of the books."



Photobucket


Uhm...no matter how much you sugar coat it, or deny it, you are being hostile to homosexuals with this statement. I do not personally see the ~subtext in the movie, but I can see where people are coming from.


-IMDB is a bitch and spoiled a major plot point from season 4 of 'Dexter' for me in a news article about 'Desperate Housewives'. I can't be the only person who hasn't seen season 4!

Here are my Best of 2009 for Movies/Television.

Megan's Top Favorite Films of 2009
10. 'Terminator: Salvation'. I went into this film expecting to hate it with a passion. I was never very big into 'Terminator', but I love the first movie. I haven't seen the second one in years, and so don't remember much about it. I never saw the 3rd one, but have been told I'm better off for not doing so. This surprised me with how intense it was, and how terrible it wasn't. No, it's not the best in the series, or even in the tops for the series, but it's enjoyable, and most of the time, I ask for at least that in a movie I'm paying $8 to see.
9. 'Paranormal Activity'. This is one of those movies where the filmmakers could do everything right or everything wrong. Thankfully, it was in the former category. It's not as scary as the trailers make it out to be, but there were parts where I was pretty terrified. It's been a very long time since I've seen a good psychological horror movie. You know a movie is scary if I have to call a friend on the drive home so I won't be "alone" when I walk into a dark house.
8. 'Star Trek'. I am not a Trekkie at all, and I found this very enjoyable. The chemistry of the cast was incredible, and they embodied their characters very well. Even for non-fans like me, I was able to determine who was who pretty easily, and follow the story as well.
7. 'Sherlock Holmes'. I went back and forth in liking this, but I'm glad I gave it a chance because it was absolutely enjoyable and I had a lot of fun while watching it. I hope they do more with this series, and I take back everything I said about Robert Downey Jr. not being right for the part of Sherlock.
6. 'District 9'. Best sci-fi movie I've ever seen. Hands down. And I'm not a big fan of aliens.
5. 'The Hangover'. Funniest comedy of the year, and surprisingly, the highest grossing R-rated film ever. There's already a sequel in the works, even before the movie hit theatres.
4. 'The Hurt Locker'. I don't actively seek out war movies, but this, as well as 'The Kingdom', from 2007, is one of the best that have come out in recent years. This is a white-knuckler movie in every sense of the word. The tension builds and builds, and then abates before building some more. It never really goes away, either, unt
3. 'Zombieland'. Probably my favourite zombie flick of all time. It's funny and creepy in the right places and the right amounts. All the characters were very likable, and brought the right amount of emotion you'd expect, and want, in a horror comedy zombie film.
2. 'Watchmen'. I might a little biased, since this is my favourite graphic novel, but this is without a doubt, the best comic book movie ever made. It stayed as true to the source material as it could, without being slavish, and also added a few little things of its own, without detracting from the original source material. And honestly? I preferred the ending of the movie as opposed to the ending of the novel. Psychic squid? Really?
1. Up'. The best movie Pixar has ever done. Hands down. It has everything you could want; humour, action, an emotionally draining opening {I swear, I've never seen an opening as depressing as 'Up' in any kid's movie, or maybe any movie}, and cute secondary characters. And as a bonus, the main kid is not annoying whatsoever, which is often a problem in kid's movies.

Honorable Mentions
-'Taken'. Hereto known as the movie that made Liam Neeson an action star, and made throat chopping a new cool way to take down one's enemies.
-'Adventureland'. I went in expecting a silly comedy, and got to see a pretty decently made character drama. I would recommend this, even if you don't like Kristen Stewart.

Megan's Top Worst Films of 2009
8. 'Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day'. I know, I know. A sequel to one of the best cult films out there? What're they thinking? Well, that's exactly what went through my mind, but I still wanted to see it. Overall, it was a good effort, but it in no way captured the flavour or humour of the original film, and I don't think anything actually could.
7. 'The Ugly Truth'. 'The Proposal' wasn't some amazing movie, but this could've been a lot better. In the end, it just became a substandard romantic comedy.
6. 'I Love You, Man'. While not a terrible movie, it was nowhere near as funny or as good as I was hoping and expecting. With actors like Paul Rudd and Jason Segel in a movie, you expect it to be rip-roaringly hilarious. Not so.
5. 'BrĂ¼no;. I'm not a Sasha Baron Cohen fan by any means, but this looked a lot funnier than 'Borat' was. And while, yes it was funnier than 'Borat', it was still ridiculous and just this side of bad.
4. 'Law Abiding Citizen'. This was not a bad movie, but not a good one, either. It was nice to be able to root for the bad guy for once.
3. 'The International'. I had seen 'Taken' prior to this, and the movie trailers and posters made it look incredibly electrifying and action packed. There is one action scene in the entire movie, and the rest of it is Clive Owen trying to take down the big bad bankers in Europe. Kind of a yawn-fest, honestly. I couldn't wait to leave the theatre.
2. 'The Informant!'. This could've and should've been a lot better than it was, but throughout it, I was not interested in the character and his "struggles". By the end, I kind of wanted him to go away forever.
1. 'Public Enemies'. I was expecting this to be amazing, but was incredibly disappointed. It dragged and dragged, and about, at least an hour and ten minutes in, my friend Bekah and I looked at each other and shook our heads. The pacing was bad, the plot was bad, and the cinematography looked...you know how when you watch a movie, you know you're watching a movie? And you know how when you watch a home video someone recorded on a shaky camcorder and is bragging about how great their camera skills are? Yeah, it was like the second one. It looked unfinished, and that was incredibly apparent in the high definition it was supposed to be in.

Best Film of 2009: 'District 9'
Runner Up: 'Up'

Best Show of 2009: 'Supernatural'
Runner Up: '30 Rock'

Biggest Disappointment of 2009 (Film): 'Public Enemies'
Runner Up: 'The Informant!'

Biggest Disappointment of 2009 (Television): Not seeing Cal and Gillian kiss on 'Lie to Me'.
Runner Up: Yet another year that 'Firefly' is not back on the air.

Most Depressing Scene (Television): The death scene in 'Supernatural' s5, episode 10: 'Abandon All Hope'.
Runner Up: The end scene of 'Dollhouse' season 1, episode 6.

Movies of 2009 I want to See But Haven't Yet:
-'Brothers'
-'Pandorum'
-'Inglorious Basterds'
-'Amelia'
-'All About Steve'
-'Invictus'
-'An Education'
-'A Single Man'
-'Fantastic Mr. Fox'
-'The Princess and the Frog'
-'The Lovely Bones'
-'It's Complicated'
-'Precious'
-'The Fourth Kind'
-'The Invention of Lying'

Overall, 2009 was not a bad year for film. It's a nice change from the last few years, which have been very shaky.


Miscellany
Funny Picture(s) I've Found:


The Song Currently Stuck In My Head:
'Good Man in a Bad Time' by Ian Hunter, from the 'Fright Night' soundtrack. One of the best vampire movies ever made and one of my favourite movies of all time.



Jackie Earle Haley:

Lookit how tiny he was! :D

Hot Guy Of the Day
Jason Sudeikis.


Quote of the Day
-Ron: "Look, I'm not tryin' to be a bitch here but you fuckin' act emo. You cry every fuckin' movie."
-Hermoine: "I don't CRY every movie! If I cried every movie, I'd...tear drops...from my eyes!"
-Ron: "Bitch! I'm just trying to tell you that when a girl cries excessively it makes her an emo."

Anything Else I Can Think Of
Band You Should Be Listening To:
Muse


Seriously, you guys. If you're not listening to them, you NEED to.

I Want:
January 21st to come so I can see more 'Supernatural'. Mmm, hey there, Jensen :3



A Video You Need to See:

David Tennant as Hamlet:






Seriously...what can't this man do? Jesus he's awesome as Hamlet. I so wish I could've seen this/gone to England at ALL!

No comments: